Skip to main content

Your New Tenancy

Welcome to your new tenancy with The Community Housing Group. As you move into your new home, there will be a lot of things to organise. We hope this helpful guide with make it easier for you to remember what you need to do.

If you need help at any time, please contact your Housing Officer. You will have been given their contact details when you signed for your tenancy. If you are not sure who to contact, call our Customer Service Centre on 0800 169 5454.

Paying your rent is your responsibility

We understand that sometimes, it’s tempting to leave your rent for a week or so because you want or need to spend the money on something else. But did you know that by doing this, you are breaking your tenancy agreement which you signed when you first moved into your home?

If you think you may have difficulty in paying your rent, you should contact us immediately to discuss the situation. You may be able to get help with your rent payments by claiming Housing Benefit.

If we don’t know about your situation, we can’t help you. Our staff are specially trained to advise you. We may make an arrangement with you to pay off the arrears on a regular basis and will do our best to make sure this arrangement is fair and affordable.

What happens if you don’t pay your rent?

If you simply don’t pay your rent, or don’t pay the agreed amount to reduce any rent arrears, we will contact you by:

  • Letter
  • Telephone
  • Text Message
  • E-mail
  • In person at your home

We do this to make you aware of the situation and so that you can take steps to pay off the arrears.

Please don’t ignore letters or phone calls. The arrears will not go away and we will work extremely hard to collect them. We use the income from rents to deliver services and provide new homes so we owe it to all tenants and to you to ensure all rent and arrears are collected as quickly as possible.

Remember: You are at risk of losing your home if you do not pay your rent.

Ways to pay

We want to make it as easy as possible for you to pay your rent. Here are details of the different ways you can use to pay.

Priority and Non-Priority Bills

Your main priority bills are rent, Council Tax, TV Licence, gas, electricity and water and you should always ensure that these are paid on time. If you do not pay these, you are putting your tenancy and belongings at risk. You can even face fines and imprisonment for non-payment of your Council Tax and TV Licence.

Non-priority bills include loans, credit cards and catalogues. These are debts of which you have received credit through companies and you are expected to pay them back. You usually have to pay interest on what you receive.

Always remember that your priority bills should be paid over non-priority bills. If you are having money worries, there are many agencies including Citizen’s Advice that can assist you.

Paying by Direct Debit and having the same supplier for your gas and electricity (dual fuel) generally saves you money on your bills. Please note not all properties have a gas supply, so all electric property energy costs will be higher than stated. Pre pay meter tariffs are also more expensive than standard credit or direct debit tariffs.

Below is an idea of weekly cost for gas, electricity and dual fuel. These will vary depending on the utility company you choose and how much fuel you use.

Tariff Comparisons Gas Electricity Dual Fuel
Direct Debit OPM* Direct Debit OPM* Direct Debit OPM*
1 or 2 bed flat single person/ couple £15.86 £16.87 £9.23 £9.82 £24.80 £26.40
2 bed flat/house/ single person/ couple with children £21.43 £22.80 £13.65 £14.52 £34.79 £37.03
3/4 bed house single person/ couple with children £21.67 £23.05 £14.02 £14.92 £35.42 £37.68

* Other payment methods – eg payment cards, prepayment meters, cheque

Top tips on energy efficiency

Lighting – Fit lower wattage or energy efficient bulbs wherever possible.

Heating – Turn your heating thermostat down and save on your energy bill. The recommended temperature is 18°C. Use timers and programmers to make sure that the heating and hot water are only provided where and when you need them.

Laundry – Washing clothes at 30°C saves energy.

Cooking – Only fill kettles with as much water as you need.

Appliances – TV’s, DVD players and Music Systems use up to 90% energy in standby mode so make sure they are turned off at the socket or use a power down device which will automatically turn them off when you switch off your appliances.

For free energy advice visit for further information.

Band A – Full charge £1154.46 – 20% of this charge will be £230.87.

Band B – Full charge £1134.87 – 20% of this charge will be £226.97.

Wyre Forest District Council charges Council Tax for the services it provides plus a contribution to the Police and Fire Service.

Weekly Monthly Yearly
Band A £22.20 £96.21 £1154.46
Band B £25.90 £112.24 £1346.87

Most of The Community Housing Group’s properties are Band A or Band B. Wyre Forest District Council will tell you the band of your new home or visit

If you live in the property alone you may be entitled to a 25% discount off your bill.

Depending on your circumstances you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction. Complete the Housing Benefit and Tax Reduction Form. Request an appointment for a new claim by calling 01562 732928.

Council Tax Reduction

Everybody who receives Council Tax reduction has to pay towards their Council Tax bill.

  • Most people will now need to pay at least 20% of their bill.
  • The maximum period of backdating will be one month.

Water Rates

If your new property already has a water meter, we will explain how it works when you sign your tenancy agreement. You will be charged for the amount of water you use instead of paying a fixed amount. A water meter can’t be taken out. If there is no water meter you will have a fixed charge.

Water rates are based on the Rateable Value of your property. Severn Trent charge £1.88 for each pound of Rateable Value.

Here are some examples of how much the water rates could be:

Water Weekly Yearly
1 bed flat £6.12 £317.80
2 bed flat £8.33 £433.06
2/3 bed house £9.51 £494.46
4 bed house £10.00 £519.93

Severn Trent Water supplies most properties in the Wyre Forest.

If the property does not have a water meter and you think that having one could save you money, contact your supplier. A single person may benefit from having a water meter but a family with children would be unlikely to. For further advice contact Severn Trent Water’s Metering Team on 0345 709 0646. or go to to apply online.

Top 7 Water Saving Tips

1. Make it go further

Reuse unused water: for example, pour leftover glasses of water on houseplants and avoid wasting water from running taps while waiting for hot water.

2. Turn it off

A running tap wastes more than 6 litres of water a minute, so turn off the tap while brushing your teeth, shaving or washing your face – and use cold water if you don’t need hot.

3. Fill ‘em up!

Make sure that washing machines and dishwashers are full before you use them, and always use the most efficient water and energy savings settings. When it’s time to replace your appliance, look for the Energy Saving Recommended logo.

4. Don’t be a drip

A dripping tap can waste more than 5,500 litres of water a year, so make sure your taps are properly turned off and change washes when taps start to drip.

5. Suds law

Using a sink of water to wash up twice a day rather than having the hot water tap running could save around £34 a year on your gas bill and around £25 on your metered water bill. If you need to rinse utensils or wash vegetables, use cold water and don’t leave the tap running!

6. Change your head

If a family of 4 replace their shower head with a water-efficient one they could save around £72 off their gas bills and around £72 off their water metered bills each year. That’s a total saving of £150.)

7. Snub the tub

If everybody in a family of 4 replaces one bath a week with a 5 minute shower, you can save up to £18 a year on gas bills and up to £21 on a water bill, if metered.

TV Licence

If you use any type of television equipment or receive or record television programmes, you are required by law to have a TV licence. This includes TV sets, video recorders, set-top boxes, PCs and mobile devices.

If you have moved to a new home and have a licence at your old address, inform TV licensing by visiting – the figures below show how much a colour TV costs.

TV License Weekly Monthly Yearly
Colour £2.89 £12.54 £150.50

Please note that you’ll usually pay for your first TV Licence within 6 months so payments may be higher for your first licence. If you, or someone you live with, are aged 75 or over, you may be able to claim a FREE over 75 TV licence. Please contact TV licensing to apply, otherwise you will be unlicensed. Also if you are registered blind you could qualify for a 50% concession.

How do I buy a TV licence?

You can buy your licence by:

  • Direct Debit
  • Debit/Credit Card
  • Shop or Post Office with PayPoint
  • Post
  • Online

You may want to spread the cost of your TV licence, you can make payments of as little as £5.00 at any post office branch or PayPoint outlet. For more information please call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6130 or visit

Cable and Satellite packages

Many people now choose to subscribe to cable or satellite packages that include TV channels, broadband and landline calls. The cost of a package can be between £22 and £68 per month, check with individual suppliers for details. You will need our permission to install a satellite dish so contact 0800 169 5454 for details.

Internet access

You may need the internet for claiming a benefit, conducting job searches or paying your rent so you should consider how you can get connected. You could either have broadband fitted in your home for a monthly fee or you may prefer internet access on the move for your mobile phone, laptop or tablet that you can subscribe to through by contract or pay as you go.

Landlines and Mobile Phones

Line rental costs vary and call costs may vary, check with individual suppliers for details. If you have a mobile phone, remember to budget for your contract, call charges or top-up costs. To compare prices and tariffs visit

One of the first tasks is to take readings of your gas, electricity and water meters and provide them with your meter readings (if you are moving out of your property, then you should take your final meter readings too). You should also contact your Local Authority and make arrangements to set up your Council Tax account.

There are other people you need to tell such as:

  • Old and new landlord
  • Housing and Council Tax (benefits)
  • TV Licence (required by law)
  • Electoral role (this can help with your credit score and contribute to your digital footprint)
  • Utility providers (now would be a fantastic time to check you are getting the best offer)
  • Your employer/Job Centre/Her Majesty Revenue & Customs
  • DVLA for driving licence and vehicle registration (required by law)
  • Internet and television providers
  • Royal Mail (there may be a charge to have your mail redirected, try to inform people before you move)
  • Any companies you have borrowed money from or owe money to
  • All bank/building societies
  • Doctor
  • Dentist
  • Schools
  • Family and friends
Wyre Forest CAB
CAB House
21 – 23 New Road
DY10 1AF
Telephone: 03444 111444
Worcestershire HUB
Kidderminster Town Hall
Vicar Street
DY10 1DB
Telephone: 01562 732928
The Money Advice Service
Telephone: 0800 138 7777
Vestia Training
Community House
Stourport Road
DY11 7QE
Telephone: 01562 733133
Connect Kidderminster
10 – 12 Blackwell Street
DY10 2DP
Telephone: 01562 829700
6 Towns Credit Union
382 High Street
West Bromwich
West Midlands
B70 9LB
National Debtline
Tricorn House
51 - 53 Hagley Road
B16 8TP
Telephone: 0808 808 4000

Kidderminster Schools

DfES School Name Address Telephone Type
4014 Baxter College Habberley Road
DY11 5PQ
01562 741524 High
2014 Birchen Coppice Primary Academy Woodbury Road
DY11 7JJ
01562 823582 Primary
3330 Chaddesley Corbett Endowed Primary School Nethercroft Meadow Kidderminster Road
Lower Chaddesley Kidderminster
DY10 4QN
01562 777312 Primary
2907 Comberton Primary School Borrington Road
DY10 3ED
01562 754704 Primary
1108 ContinU Plus Academy Finepoint Way
DY11 7FB
01562 822463 AP2
3016 Cookley Sebright Primary School Lea Lane
DY10 3TA
01562 850397 Primary
2908 Foley Park Primary Academy & Nursery Northumberland Avenue
DY11 7AW
01562 823857 Primary
2910 Franche Community Primary School Chestnut Grove
DY11 5QB
01562 751788 Primary
2010 Heronswood Primary School Heronswood Road
DY10 4EX
01562 69750 Primary
4501 King Charles I School & Sixth Form Centre Hill Grove House
Comberton Road
DY10 1XA
01562 512880 High
2911 Offmore Primary School Wordsworth Crescent
DY10 3HA
01562 753934 Primary
3393 St Ambrose Catholic Primary School Leswell Street
DY10 1RP
01562 823568 Primary
3021 St Catherine's CE Primary School Marlpool Lane
DY11 5HP
01562 823614 Primary
3023 St George's CE Primary & Nursery Birmingham Road
DY10 2BX
01562 824206 Primary
2024 St John's CE Primary School Blakebrook
DY11 6AP
01562 745558 Primary
3331 St Mary's CE Primary School Stoney Lane
DY10 2LX
01562 824327 Primary
3026 St Oswald's CE Primary School Sion Avenue
DY10 2YL
01562 751056 Primary
3369 Sutton Park Community Primary School Greatfield Road
DY11 6PH
01562 67742 Primary
4503 Wolverley CE Secondary School Blakeshall Lane
DY11 5XQ
01562 859800 High
3332 Wolverley Sebright Primary School Franche Road
DY11 5TP
01562 850268 Primary
7026 Wyre Forest School Habberley Road
DY11 6FA
01562 827785 Special

Stourport Schools

DfES School Name Address Telephone Type
2027 Burlish Park Primary School Windermere Way
DY13 8LA
01299 823771 Primary
3013 Hartlebury CE Primary School The Village
DY11 7TD
01299 250312 Primary
2904 Lickhill Primary School Almond Way
DY13 8UA
01299 871803 Primary
3012 St Bartholomew's CE Primary School Princess Way
DY13 0EL
01299 823454 Primary
3380 St Wulstan's Catholic Primary School Elmfield Walk
DY13 8UB
01299 877808 Primary
2902 Stourport Primary Academy Park Avenue
DY13 8SH
01299 822120 Primary
4004 The Stourport High School & VI Form College Minster Road
DY13 8AX
01299 872950 High
3015 Wilden All Saints' CE Primary Academy Wilden Lane
DY13 9LP
01299 822638 Primary

Bewdley Schools

DfES School Name Address Telephone Type
3001 Bayton CE Primary School Bayton
DY14 9LG
01299 832393 Primary
3397 Bewdley Primary School Stourport Road
DY12 1BL
01299 403796 Primary
3010 Far Forest Lea Memorial CE Primary School New Road
Far Forest
DY14 9TQ
01299 266316 Primary
3011 St Anne's CE Primary School Wyre Hill
DY12 2UQ
01299 402013 Primary
4001 The Bewdley School Stourport Road
DY12 1BL
01299 403277 High
3109 Upper Arley CE Primary School Upper Arley
DY12 1XA
01299 861260 Primary


First Class Nursery
Lister Road
DY11 6NN
Telephone: 01562 755733
Church House Nursery
Brook Street
DY11 6RH
Telephone: 01562 829273
Busy Bees
19 Stoke Road
B60 3EQ
Telephone: 01527 575375
The Kiddies Day Nursery
132 Chester Road South
DY10 1XE
Telephone: 01562 67701
Deerhurst Day Nursery
182 Franche Road
DY11 5AD
Telephone: 01562 823569
Teddy Bears Day Nursery
66 School Lane
B91 2QL
Telephone: 0121 705 6626

Rubbish & Recycling

You can check when your rubbish and recycling will be collected by visiting Wyre Forest District Council’s website You will also find some useful information about the different ways you can recycle your rubbish and the services available for the removal or larger items or garden waste.