Skip to main content

Tenant insurance

It is your responsibility to insure your furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes.

When you select your insurance policy, you will be asked how much you want to insure your belongings for – this can be daunting!

A starting point is to think about what you would take with you if you moved house – such as carpets, furniture and appliances.

Remember, contents cover is not just to protect against burglary. Imagine your home was destroyed by fire: you would need to replace practically everything you owned – and that is why it is vital to get an accurate level of cover.

This list may help:

Living room

  • TV and other electronic items such as DVD players, computer games consoles, games, Hi-fi equipment
  • Sofas and furniture
  • Carpets and curtains
  • Pictures, ornaments and lamps

Dining Room

  • Table and chairs
  • Cabinets and bookshelves
  • Crockery and cutlery
  • Carpets and curtains


  • Cookers and fridges
  • Washing machine
  • Dishwashers
  • Carpets, floor coverings, blinds
  • Small appliances such as kettles, toasters, microwave
  • Pots and pans and cooking equipment
  • Frozen food


  • Jewellery (check that the policy doesn't have an upper limit)
  • Clothing
  • Bedding
  • Bedroom furniture and bed
  • Carpets and curtains
  • Electronic equipment such as alarm clocks, lamps, mobile phones
  • Children's toys


  • Fittings such as cabinets and contents/toiletries if they are particularly valuable
  • Floor coverings and blind

Garages and sheds

  • You will need to check that the policy covers you for outside items such as tools, lawnmowers, garden furniture and bikes